Piano making in Estonia was an art practiced during the late 18th century and has been documented as early as 1779. The craft had flourished, and during the late 19th and the early 20th century there were nearly 20 independent piano companies. The most notable of these manufacturers was Ernst Hiis-Ihse, whose handmade piano from 1893 became the prototype of the Estonia piano. After the WW II, factory was making two grand models – Estonia 190 and 274, mostly for the Eastern markets. During end of 1990-s, pianist dr. Indrek Laul purchased the company. Thereafter three new instrument models (168, 210 and 225) were added, lots of renovations at the factory have been completed. The newly warm, musical Estonia sound and the quality of craftsmanship has captured hearts around the world.