The Estonian Tennis Association was founded on 10 July 1922. The founding members were five associations at the time: the Lawn Tennis Club of Estonia, the Tallinn Lawn Tennis and Hockey Club, the Narva Lawn Tennis and Hockey Club, the tennis department of the Estonian Sports Association Kalev, and the tennis department of the Tartu Academic Sports Club.
The Estonian Tennis Association became a member of the International Tennis Federation (previously FILT, currently ITF) in 1934. Before the Second World War, 18 tennis clubs belonged to the tennis association and there were over 1,500 players.
Today, the tennis association has 70 member clubs, there are a bit over a 100 indoor and 200 outdoor tennis courts, and there are over 10,000 tennis enthusiasts.
The hall of fame of Estonian tennis includes Toomas Leius, who was one of the best in the world in the 60s, and Kaia Kanepi and Anett Kontaveit, who have done great things in recent decades.