The city of Võru lies in the South-eastern corner of Estonia, about 250 km from the capital, Tallinn, and about 40 kilometres from the border crossing point to Russia at Luhamaa. On January 1, 2014 the city had 13,169 residents. The territory of the city covers 13 sq km. The pride of the city is Lake Tamula of 231.3 hectares, the beach promenade along its northern shore and the longest suspension bridge in Estonia (180 metres). Võru was granted city rights in 1784 and the city marks its birthday every August 21, in connection with it the lake shore turns into a concert venue, offering good music for the residents free of charge. The city has activities for everyone. It has two museums, the Lutheran St Catherine’s and the Orthodox Martyr Catherine’s Churches, the Kannel Cultural Centre with a high-level gallery and with a concert, theatre and movie hall, full-size stadium and sports hall with illuminated skiing and running tracks and a very high-level bathing beach. Võru is a lovely city where it is possible to admire old wooden houses and enjoy beautiful views to the lake. Friedrich Reinhold Kreutzwald, author of the epic poem Kalevipoeg lived and worked in the city for 44 years, from 1833 to 1877. The city got its coat-of-arms as early as in 1788. It features a spruce on golden background. In accordance with an imperial ukase the city got the arms because that tree is very characteristic to the landscape around Võru.