Do not have an account? Sign up
The Narva-Jõesuu Lighthouse is located on the sand dunes by the sea on the left bank of the mouth of the Narva River. It helps to navigate at sea and marks the mouth of the river.
The lighthouse built on the west bank of the mouth of the Narva River in 1808 was 16 metres tall, made of limestone, and had a round ground plan. In 1886, after thorough repair works, the lighthouse became 8 metres taller and also gained a new metal lantern room with a new light.
In 1941, the Narva lighthouse was destroyed along with the service buildings by the retreating Red Army troops, and was not restored for some time. To enter the estuary from the sea, leading lights of wooden boards with triangular shields were used.
The construction of the new lighthouse on the bank of the Narva River started in the second half of the 1950s, when reinforced concrete was reintroduced in the construction of lighthouses. In 1957, the cylindrical body of the new Narva Lighthouse was completed, at the top of which there was a light chamber covered with a multi-faceted metal dome of a smaller diameter. A balcony surrounded by metal fence and netting was built around the light chamber on top of the stone body. The new 31-metre tower, built from prefabricated reinforced concrete elements, was painted in red and white stripes. The balcony and light chamber of the lighthouse were was painted black and the circular sector lantern EMN-500 with a luminous intensity of 50,000 candelas was installed into the chamber.
From 2008, Narva lighthouse is officially called Narva-Jõesuu Lighthouse