Juminda is the biggest peninsula on Estonia’s northern shore. To facilitate entry into Hara Bay and Loksa Port an automatic blinking light was installed at the corner of the border guard observation platform at the tip of the peninsula in 1931. Six years later, in 1937, a 24-meter lighthouse was put up instead. In 1981 the regime of the lighthouse was changed to automatic and the visibility of the light was extended to 15 miles. In 2006 an upper part of eight metal cylinders was mounted on the former concrete shaft. The lighthouse now stands 32 meters high, the focal plane being at 40 meters. The Juminda Lighthouse is a cylindrical metal and concrete tower with a lantern and two galleries. It is red at the top, black in the middle and white at the bottom. In 2007 the Juminda Lighthouse will be 70 years old.